We started the day at 9am with neighborhood beach clean up. The beach that comes with our neighborhood is legally "private", but is pretty much open to any and all foot-traffic, which also means we get to take time out of our days a few times a year to go clean up all the trash the considerate beach-users leave behind. Beer bottles and cans, NEEDLES, food wrappers...pillows, blankets...good times.
Thankfully, clean appears to beget clean, as this round didn't appear to be as bad as it has been in the past ~ but, it's not summer yet....sorry to be cynical, but it never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate people can be towards things that they have no vested interest in taking care of. ie, it's not mine, why should I take care of it?
The highlight of beach clean up was that DH made a new friend:
Meet Kobie! This was a very energetic pup, who quickly zeroed in on DH as game for play:
We got back to the house around 10am, and the day of new friends continued when I spotted a new face in the yard...
Meet Leo, the kitten belonging to our neighbors a few doors down. I've seen him around, but it was lovely for him to come over and spend some time letting us get to know him! Very chatty and personable lad. He stayed for about 30 mins, then hopped over to the neighbor's yard and started working his way home.
We enjoyed his visit, had a tea and snack break, then spent the rest of the very lovely March day doing yardwork. DH edged and mowed and I pruned and weeded like a crazy person. I'm betting there will be plenty of folks at work today walking around at odd angles thanks to a day of massive yardwork :)
Around 2:30, my friend Pam B. came over with treasures obtained on their trip to Argentina and Chile - yes, she and her husband were on a cruise ship, thankfully at sea at the time the earthquake hit. It was a little touch and go getting themselves home, as they flew out of Santiago within a few days of the quake, but they made it, and she stopped by with gifts in appreciation of the petsitting duties I shared with another friend during their absence. I am now the pleased owner of a beautiful orange Alpaca wool scarf, lapis lazuli (sp?) earrings, and a lovely rose quartz kitty carving :) Over tea, many exciting tales were shared, and I'm sooo thankful she and her hub made it home safely!
Yesterday, longtime friend and former co-worker Melody M. came over for a visit and to see the remodeled house. We found each other on Facebook after a long absence (7 years), so we spent the entire afternoon gabbing up a storm over tea and pie catching up on each other's lives. It was a good day for company, for as lovely as Saturday was, Sunday was that dark and cold. The gray blew in while we were in church, and we were quite thankful we'd gotten the yard cared for on the sunny day before.
And to close out the day, last night I called my friend Nita in Everson, Arkansas, where I'll be visiting in a few months, to discuss dates for the trip - Nita was my BFF in 4th & 5th grade (we moved from AR the summer before 6th grade) and we haven't seen each other in over 30 years - I'm so excited to go back to my old hometown, see our old homestead, and hopefully catch a firefly or two, like when I was a kid! It's so fun to hear that gentle southern drawl such a part of my formative years :)
Thumbs up for the first full weekend of March - well done, Ma Nature!
No comments:
Post a Comment