So, our office closed at 4, and thankfully I decided to take the 4:30 Passenger Only from Seattle to Vashon. I say fortunately, because the trip was so bouncy and dicey, as was the docking at Vashon, with most of us preparing to at some point bend over and kiss our butts goodbye, that the later runs were cancelled. Was it ever windy!! DH picked me up at the dock, within minutes of my transformation into a human popsicle. Was it ever COLD!! Got home, thawed out in front of the roaring woodstove, and the power went out. And the wind continued to literally SLAM into the house all night long. Sensibly, most downtown businesses (including ours, which indicates we were very close to DEFCON 5, as that's what it takes for our Powers That Be to close the office!) stayed closed. Many harrowing stories today of how long it took folks to get from Downtown Seattle to their homes. As treacherous as my commute was, it wasn't super long, and I was fortunate. My compadres who missed the 4:30 (at least 30 commuters were left standing on the dock due to capacity limitations on the ferry) had to catch the WSF Bremerton ferry, then get home from Bremerton. Which was an adventure in itself. I learned this morning that it was at the least 5 hours for a couple, 7 for a couple more.
Soo, this is my catch up picture post of last week....
Saturday night, November 20
Sunday morning visitor (who apparently "works" the neighborhood birdfeeders!)
Another Sunday morning visitor...who chased the first one off...
Sunday afternoon clean-up from the last Big Wind...
Monday morning...It. Begins.
Downtown, Monday afternoon...
Tuesday morning...not much snow, but freakin' COLD.
Noticed we were being watched from the neighbors' yard as we moved firewood from the lean-to next to the house over to the garage...
Notice all the whitecaps...the wind continued through Tuesday.
Hungry hummingbird wintering in our backyard, trying to access the popsicle in the feeder...we fixed that and kept the sugar water fluid for the several hummers who've hung around thus far.
Really, is there ever a BAD time to fire up the grill? :) This was Tuesday afternoon. Still no power at this point.
Wednesday, power back, yay! Which has nothing to do with the intense eagle activity we were watching over the week...they were out in force!
Wed night, Thanksgiving Table - Check! That's THE pumpkin I grew in the garden this year.
However, it had been frozen solid from sitting on the front porch, and I suspected it would likely "melt" before long...
'Nother eagle capture...they LOVE that tree!
Thanksgiving morning...and yes, the pumpkin expired. I glanced over as I was getting my tea that morning and noticed a puddle under the table. My pumpkin had pee'd on its way to the next realm...
So, a clean up and some creative recycling later, new centerpiece. These 3 little pumpkins are the ones from the visit to the corn maze with sister and cousins back in October - they'd been hanging out decorating a counter, so got repurposed to the table. Worked nicely :)
Ta-Da!! Da Birds!! Why 2 turkeys for only 2 people, you ask? Well, because Michael Ciarello's recipe calls for two 10lb birds, and who are we to question.
And I close with a snuggly picture because, well, it's my blog, and I can :)
Hope everyone had a safe and blessed Thanksgiving holiday. We're thankful it's back up into the high 30s low 40s again...heatwave!
No comments:
Post a Comment