Here is a surprise local at the Southworth Ferry Dock last Tuesday - I'd just boarded the ferry and had my camera out to take pictures of the submerged boat a little further out, when out of the corner of my eye, very close to the ferry, was this lil guy! Only got one picture, and a fuzzy one at that, before he disappeared, but how happy was I to even get this!! Otters weren't even on my list of "to photograph" as this is the first time in the 8 years we've lived here I've seen one in the water or out! Hurray!!
Same day, the Olympics were bathed in pink, so one more reason to be glad I decided to pack the camera along - sort of a spur of the moment decision as I was heading out the door!
Here's what I was aiming for when the otter caught my eye - this boat is buoyed about 5-6 houses north of the Southworth Dock - I was imagining the chagrin of the owner to wake and find THAT waiting in the water!
Here is a shot of the submerged vessel the following day...
And by day three, VOILA, not a submersible any longer!
We had a couple really nice days last week, and I caught this from the King County Vashon Water Taxi as we headed out of Seattle one afternoon last week - it's the wake of the boat and the setting sun...ahhhh!
Saturday morning dawned very grey and dreary and was immensely wet. But was still able to snap this shot of the brilliant maple out the kitchen window.
Saturday wasn't super chilly, but DH decided with the weather, firing up the woodstove would be a great way to enjoy (?) the Huskies Game/Shellacking that afternoon. That is one awesome stove - we were quite toasty after a short bit. It's very efficient and heats the house, esp. the living room, very well.
Sunday provided the surprise Fabulous Fall Day of the weekend - grabbed this shot of our front yard as I was heading out to meet my friend Korri at her house in Bremerton for a day of fun in Poulsbo. The sun was out all day and we shed our jackets pretty quickly after arriving at our destination.
We got to North Kitsap High School at around noon and paid our $3 entrance fee to enjoy the North Kitsap Holiday Fest, which took up three of their large buildings. So many booths, so little time! We spent the bulk of our time in the main building where it appeared the best booths were, finding some wonderful treasures and visiting with the artists and craftsfolk - there was also a booth outside serving crepes in the "french" tradition, a guy from Kingston flippin' crepes, so Korri and I split a buckwheat savory vegetarian that was quite yummy.
After seeing all we could see at the Holiday Bazaar, around 2:30 we drove into Poulsbo, and as luck would have it, found a parking space RIGHT in front of Sluys Bakery, THE most tasty and fabulous bakery bar none. I picked up my quota of Lefsa for the season, and Korri found a delicous pastry treat that had her name alllll over it :)
We observed it must've been Take Your Dog to Poulsbo Day, for there were canines a-plenty wandering the sidewalks with their humans - here are two we met who appeared to be bored to tears while their people chatted up a storm with a local shopkeeper.
I dropped Korri back at her house and was home by 6pm. With the "fall back an hour" of clocks on Sat night, it was very dark very early! Unpacked my treasures, got stuff ready for work on Monday, and hit the sack around 9pm.
We had a wonderful day exploring and shopping and visiting and enjoying each other's company, so much so that we've decided this is definitely and officially now an Annual Event for us to ring in the holidays with!
I'm already looking forward to Next November!!
Oh, Sluys.....how I miss that place.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun weekend!! :)