Monday, August 23, 2010

Fall's a Month Away...

...but Mother Nature is working hard to convince us otherwise.  Coolish, overcast weekend in the Port Orchard area, and though we did get some solid sun breaks, temps stayed cool and autumnal.

Friday afternoon was fun with meeting my friends Sally and Lora, former co-workers, for lunch, and then my dear boss called from his summer house and said, hey, why not head out early?  Don't have to ask me twice.  I was on the 4:30 boat home.  The sun was out and it was warmish - made for a lovely homeward commute.

Saturday morning dawned hazy and I was awake much earlier than I wished to be, but decided to go out and inspect the garden, since I was already up.  Heard the familiar bark of our local yappy chipmunk, and after some investigation, caught him on a pole two yards over, so gave the telephoto another workout :)


DH did some misc. projects on Saturday while I did misc. chores, then we ran some errands - pretty lowkey day - love those kind of puttering around days!  We did get a lovely moonrise, which is always nice:


Sunday morning I made a batch of zucchini choco-chip muffins with the last of the frozen shredded zucchs, and that afternoon our friends Bob and Denise drove out from Tacoma for dinner.  Thankfully, the rain held off so we were able to fire up the grill.  I whipped up a couple batches of pesto prior to their arrival, for as wimpy as the rest of the garden has been, the basil raised in pots has turned out quite well.  We had a lovely visit with them, and they headed home around 6:30.  DH watched football while I browsed pics from years past to see if Augusts in previous years have been like this one, and was bummed to recall that by this time last year, we were up to our eyeballs in zucchs, tomatoes, squash, etc.... *sniff*  Oh well, one of the best qualities of gardeners is optimism.  There's always next year!

My boss took these pix this afternoon of the Farmers Ins. Blimp zipping around Seattle airspace - told him I'd post them on my blog :)


And that's it for today...at least the sun is out and it isn't freezing :)  It's a good August day in Seattle!

No comments:

Post a Comment