Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fourth of July Weekend

What a great three-day weekend!  Truly, one of the better ones we've enjoyed in a while, not that one ever doesn't enjoy 3-day weekends...but I digress.

Saturday July 3 was the official start of Le Tour de France, which DH has devotedly watched for many years.  Last Christmas, I got him a TdF house flag to fly proudly during the month of July, and it was installed on Saturday, with a brief break on Sunday for Old Glory to wave.

Saturday was just lovely.  DH continued beating back the underbrush, ivy and blackberries in the Rhody Forest along the south fenceline.  He had a great day to be outdoors!

I, meanwhile, spent the morning getting a haircut and new color.  The annoying little gray strands have been asserting themselves more...assertively...as of late, so time to go full color instead of just highlights.  I like the results!  Now I REALLY feel sassy!!

Got home, cut some fresh flowers for the kitchen, then did a little more work clearing out the border bed alongside the kitchen patio.  Basically, I battled with ivy and freed the wisteria this weekend, which was slowly being choked to death.

Sunday, July 4, of course dawned cool and damp.  DH watched Le Tour while I spent the morning working in the front yard cleaning out old beauty bark to prep beds for a new infusion of pretty bark.  Dang, that was a LOT of work!

Snapped the shot below just as we were heading out to see Toy Story 3 -- you can see the weather didn't really improve as the day moved along.  And this is one of the bigger ships we've seen go through the Passage.

Here we are waiting to see Toy Story 3 -- had to get a picture of the 3D glasses we didn't know we'd be getting...took a little getting used to, but I can see where 3D is the wave of the movie making future ~ I just hope they eventually lower the prices -- it was $26 for 2 of us to see an evening show!!  Insane!!

Got home in time for fireworks - the Islanders put on quite a show across the water, and there was quite a bit of fireworks activity on our beach and on the neighborhood street in front of our house - sounded like we were under artillary attack until about 11pm, when I think the rain finally drove the merry makers indoors.

And then yesterday, of course, the skies cleared, the sun came out, and it was a lovely day, as today and the rest of the week are and will be!  Summer truly doesn't start in Washington until July 5, seriously.

I neglected to take a "before" picture, but this is one of the beds I cleared, where I'm slowly freeing the wisteria.  This was choked with weeds, overgrown irises and ivy.  It's now cleared out, barked and two new hydrangeas for color.  I really like it!!

This is the "blueberry bed," which just needed bark, notsomuch on the weeding.  The berries are slowly ripening, should be ready in a week or two!  And the raspberries are being VERY generous this year - I picked about a quart of berries last night :)  The carrots have also turned out most excellent, and DH is taking some for lunch every day :)

This bed was choked with weeds, which got cleared out on Sunday, and barked yesterday.  While DH edged and mowed, I distributed a truckload of bark, and wow, was I sore by bedtime!

Front yard, these two beds getting bark next weekend.  This shot shows how pretty yesteday was.  Today is looking like a warmer copy of yesterday.

And as we were settling in last night, I caught this little guy enjoying the crocosmia, their fave flower in the garden.  It's a bulb they come back for every year.  We rarely see them sitting still, so these were fun shots to get!

Last but surely not least, the weather forecast for the week...FINALLY!!
Delighted Saturday is going to be nice, as we'll be in Seattle for the day, being tour guides for my friend Marybeth and her family, up from Sacramento.
I can tell it's summer, because the office air conditioner is on full blast.  Time to break out the space heater.

Ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment